If you added up all the time people waste in bad meetings every day worldwide, the cost would probably equate to the annual GDP of a small country. Long unproductive and poorly run meetings cost both time and money.
Average time spent in meetings every day: 3.3 hours
Over 1/3 of meetings are considered unproductive! (36%)
The time we collectively waste on bad meetings every year
We did the math* (see how at the bottom). Turns out we collectively waste just shy of 300,000 years per annum in useless meetings.
300,000 years ago, our stone age ancestors didn’t have time to waste in meetings – they were too busy fending off sabre-toothed tigers. At least all we have to fight off nowadays is boredom. (and not even that, if you follow the tips in this infographic ;-)
Common Characteristics of a BAD meeting
Industries with the highest proportion of unproductive meetings
IT: 50% - Education: 50% - Financial Services: 40%
Departments with the highest proportion of unproductive meetings
IT Consulting: 50% - Customer Service: 48% - Engineering 47%
Common Characteristics of a GOOD meeting
Are you ready to become a meeting superstar?
13 TIPS FOR BETTER MEETINGS:
- Try video meetings :) Meet quickly and discuss projects easily.
- Set an objective and have a clear purpose for the meeting.
- Only invite necessary people
- Circulate an agenda beforehand
- Ask participants to come prepared and ready to participate
- Direct questions at specific individuals to increase engagement
- Keep participants focused on the agenda items and prevent off-topic discussions
- Use drawing tools to highlight key parts of your screen
- Use webcams for a personal touch
- Use VoiP to save on audio conferencing bills
- Encourage users to join from a mobile device if they are on the move
- Assign follow-up actions to individuals promptly
- Press that record button and share afterwards (great for non-attendees!)
For more ideas, tips and ideas to help improve your world of work, visit blog.gotomeeting.co.uk
SOURCES: BETTER MEETINGS SURVEY, CITRIX, AUGUST 2013.
The Virtual Presenter's: 102 TIPS FOR ONLINE MEETINGS
* HOW WE DID THE MATH: 220 WORKING DAYS PER ANNUM X 3.3 HOURS = 726 HOURS
726H X 10 MIO WORKERS = 7,260,000,000 HOURS OR 302,500,000 DAYS OR 828,767 YEARS
Discover a wealth of informative and insightful content on this and related topics
at our blog: blog.gotomeeting.com
Online meetings and video conferences made easy.
Our Citrix online service for better collaboration
Get your free trial version: 0800 048 8368